Monday, January 28, 2013

Baby groups.. What a nightmare..

For any mum, no matter what age, baby groups are scary, unless you are over confident and know the people who are going to be there..  But when you are a teen mum it's even scarier.

Went to one last week which was more of a older baby group and met a nice lady who was 21 with a 15 month old little girl. She was very nice and actually spoke to me, Hardly anyone else did.. 

The Tuesday baby group is in a back room of a church.. and this room is massive.. and filled with mums sat around the edges of the room all facing the door ready to stare down their new mum...and luckily, i was their new victim. I rushed over and sat down trying to stop my face from going red. I was disappointed that i had the youngest baby as i was hoping to make friends with someone who had a similar aged baby who wasn't as dull as a parrot. About an hour later, i was tempted to leave until someone walked in with a newborn baby, This made my day. Her little girl was only 5 weeks old and i knew her from antenatal classes, i could tell she was nervous and she rushed over and sat next to me where we discussed labour and our lovely health visitor, who is a complete arse. 

After enjoying this group i decided it was time to tackle the snobby mean baby group...


As soon as i got there i regretted it.

We were in a tiny room with 11+ mums who i found very judgey. They all looked at me like i was a stray dog, and the worst thing about it was i had to stand up and introduce myself. URGH! i went bright red.. public speaking is not my thing.. at all.

I sat there, no one speaking to me, and Ethan sound asleep so i couldn't even play with him. I did notice two mums that looked nice with 12 week, + 14 week old babies who i really wanted to move closer too but there was no room for me. (next week i will be punctual and turn up on time so i can sit next to them). Some welsh lady came in to the group aswell to sing songs and read in welsh.. all the mums had to sing along. :(   

The best bit about this group was actually leaving,  The two mums i was on about before came up to me and asked me how i was, And for that i was extremely grateful because now i know that next week i will have someone to talk too. We talked about labour, + midwives.. all the stuff two mums talk about to start some bonding, it was truly lovely and i knew they weren't judging me on my age which was even better. 

Both these experiences have totally pushed me out of my comfort zone, and whether i am liking it or not.. i will let you know.

I would suggest to any mum, young or old, go to a group... if you don't like it then leave + never go again.. but there is a chance you will have fun + meet some lovely people.. You just have to get over the 'new mum to the group' phase. 











No comments:

Post a Comment